Venue: Satish Dhawan Auditorium, Indian Instititute of Science(IISc), Bangalore
Dates: 28th and 29th November, 2022
- Can Quadriplegic persons operate robots?
- What is the gap in present accessibility standard within Indian context.
- How gaming leads to new assistive technology.
All of us get fortunate in life in seeing children growing up. As a child starts to crawl, speak, walk, it brings joy to the parents and relatives. However, children with different range of abilities often follow a different development path than their able-bodied counterpart. Recent research in XR Technologies, Computer Vision and AI are redefining interaction with electronic media in new ways which was not thought before. However, is this progress being distributed fairly among all parts of the society? Researchers often evaluate the accuracy of their system for best case scenario (or for expert users) but do they consider the different ranges of abilities of users? In fact how the recent advance in interactive systems is supporting users who cannot use existing interaction devices or need ‘special’ interaction modalities?
The Indo EU workshop on Inclusive Design and Standardization will present a set of presentations and panel discussions from India and Europe discussing recent development in assistive technology, standardization and rehabilitation. The workshop was preceeded by a hackathon involving eye gaze controlled cyber physical systems held at Vidyasagar (Spastic Society of Tamil Nadu), Chennai.
The workshop will discuss outcome from the hackathon and explore sustainability of proposed solutions and prospective India EU collaboration for development and standardization of new assistive technology.
Delegates at Satish Dhawan Auditorium
Satish Dhawan Auditorium
Prof Suresh welcoming Mr Benoit Sauveroche, First Counsellor at the Delegation of the European Union to India
Pradipta Biswas with Mr Benoit Sauveroche
Delegates at Tata Statue
Nahar Centre for Robotics and Prototyping
Delegates and Speakers
Day 1, 28th November IST 1400
- Welcome Address - Prof GK Ananthsuresh, Dean (Mechanical Science), IISc and Mr Benoit Sauveroche, First Counsellor at the Delegation of the European Union to India
- User requirements for accessible VR experiences, Pilar Orero, UAB, Spain
- Ludic Design for Accessibility, Swami Manohar, Microsoft Research
- Accessible Information Visualization, Markku Turunen, Tempere University, Finland
- Indian Accessibility Standard, S Ramakrishnan, CDAC
- Rehabilitation Technology, Mohit Kataruka, Army Hospital, New Delhi
Day 2, 29th November IST 1000
- Report on Hackathon for SSMI , Pradipta Biswas, Indian Institute of Science
- IISc Lab Visit for Physically Present Delegates
1. Nahar Centre of Robotics
2. I3D Lab
3. Flight Simulator Lab
- Meeting about hosting ITU meeting
- Live Caption for Indian Broadcasting, Avinash Agarwal, DoT & ITU
- European Disability Standard and Regulation, Alejandro Moledo, European Disability Forum
- Same Language Subtitle, Nirav Shah, PlanetRead and Brij Kothari, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- Closing Remarks
The project will directly contribute to as well as collaborate with European Standard EN 301 549 on ICT Accessibility. The PI is member of the expert committee which is adopting EN 301 549 for India’s banking websites. The multilingual and multicultural context of EU is similar to India and the proposed Common User Profile will be useful to personalize systems for the multilingual EU population. The project will closely collaborate with EU partners and EU Cost network.
- VK Sharma, LRD Murthy, and P Biswas, Comparing two safe distance maintenance algorithms for a gaze controlled HRI involving users with SSMI, ACM Transactions on Accessible Computing 2022
- VK Sharma, KPS Saluja, V Mollyn and P Biswas, Eye Gaze Controlled Robotic Arm for Persons with Severe Speech and Motor Impairment, ACM International Conference on Eye Tracking Research and Applications (ETRA) 2020
- N. Blow and P. Biswas, A pointing facilitation system for motor-impaired users combining polynomial smoothing and time weighted gradient target prediction models, Assistive Technology 29(1), ISSN: 1040-0435, Taylors and Francis, 2016
- Kaklanis N., Biswas P., Mohamad Y., Gonzalez M. F., Peissner M., Langdon P., Tzovaras D. and Jung C., Towards Standardization of User Models for Simulation and Adaptation Purposes, Universal Access in the Information Society (UAIS) 15(1)
- P. Biswas, P. Robinson and P. Langdon, Designing inclusive interfaces through user modelling and simulation, International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction 28(1), Taylor & Francis, Print ISSN: 1044-7318