Augmented, virtual and mixed reality technologies offer new ways of interacting with digital media. However, such technologies are not well explored for people with different ranges of abilities beyond a few specific navigation and gaming applications. While new standardization activities are investigating accessibility issues with existing AR/VR systems, commercial systems still confined to specialized hardware and software limiting their widespread adoption among people with disabilities. This workshop takes a novel approach by exploring the application of user model based personalization for AR/VR systems. The workshop will be organized by experienced researchers in the field of human computer interaction, robotics control, assistive technology, and AR/VR systems, and will consist of peer reviewed papers and hands-on demonstrations. Keynote speeches and demonstrations will cover latest accessibility research at Microsoft, Google, Verizon and leading universities.
Paper Submission: 28th February 2021 (Extended)
Notification: 31st March 2021
Final Camera Ready Copy: 15th April 2021
Authors of selected papers will be invited to submit extended versions of their papers to a special issue of the ACM Transactions on Accessible Computing (TACCESS)
Papers should be between 5000 and 8000 words in length in ACM format
Please note that the registration rates for CHI have been published, Please Click Here to Register
Link to Join Conference:
- Disseminate knowledge on accessibility services available for AR/VR/MR systems
- Identify gaps in state-of-the-art of immersive media with respect to accessibility
- Enhance usability of immersive media
- Identify new applications for immersive media (e.g. Human Robot Interaction for rehabilitation, remote monitoring and control of semi-autonomous vehicles and so on)
- Extend applications of user modelling and interface personalization to immersive media
What audience get
- Exposure to state of the art accessibility systems for immersive media
- Hands on demonstration on eye gaze controlled AR/VR systems
- New applications of AR/VR systems
- What is the value addition of immersive technologies over traditional computer monitor for users with different range of abilities?
- How immersive media (AR/VR/MR) can be adapted to enhance interaction experience of users with different range of abilities?
- How a personalization framework through user modelling can automatically adjust interface and interaction for traditional and immersive media?
- What are affordable ways to deliver immersive media to users with different range of abilities at large scale?
- How to develop algorithms for affordable new interaction technologies like eye gaze tracker, haptic feedback system and 3D audio?
- What combination and configuration of output modalities are most effective to convey information to users with different range of abilities for AR/VR applications?
There will be 20 minutes break between each pairs of sessions where participants can have discussions with other participants and can also experience hands-on demonstrations in the virtual machines. The virtual session will be kept open for one more hour after the formal ending of the workshop.